Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Papers Rain on my Parade

There are so many papers due. Three so far: 1/ Islamic Art and Architecture; 2/ Medieval Literature; 3/ Old English (announced today). Fortunately I already memorized the first 11 lines of Beowulf so that's one less thing to worry about. I guess I will just visit the Old English professor to recite the lines in her office so that I won't get nervous and trip up in class since she suggested the idea.

I don't know what I will write about for my paper topic in Old English yet. I think my favorite was Ælfric's Colloquy. I enjoyed hearing about all the professions. It would also be nice to do something with Bede since I don't really know much about him, but since the paper will be focused on the text and not the writer, the Colloquy seems like a more interesting choice. Not sure exactly what I will explore, but I am hoping to do a full text translation this weekend... but wait, I already have part of it so it shouldn't be too bad. I can start reading and thinking about what to write about. Hopefully, I can think about something unique and interesting to discuss.

The Latin exam is tomorrow. I still have to make time to study for it. I also have to write my response paper about two chapters of Tolkien's Silmarillion (Ainulindale and Valaquenta) that we are supposed to read by tomorrow. So far, it sounds similar to Milton's Paradise Lost.

The Islamic Art and Architecture professor also assigned readings to us. Argh! He seems really wishy washy with regard to whether he wants us to read it for class or not. Actually, we really are supposed to read the articles before coming to class, but since not many students did, he said earlier this week that he wasn't going to bring it up anymore and that we would be responsible for reading them on our own. Today he sent an e-mail reminding us to read them. If he were consistent, then we could plan when we need to complete our assignments better. I'm not sure if I will have time to read it before class with a response paper hanging over my head and a Latin midterm to study for, but I will try. Maybe I can do it on the train.

I would love to make this longer, but the longer I take the less time there is for me to complete everything. Until later!

No comments: