Tuesday, February 9, 2010

No school tomorrow due to a snow storm! Hurray! I can catch up to all of my readings tonight. I was also worried because my sleep pattern has reverted back to falling asleep at 4 AM. Right now the streets are wet, so I think we are going to have heavy wet snow. Not very nice... especially when one must walk the dog.

I guess I will have time to do a bit of seed starting now that I don't have to go to bed early. I really should start some of them. I planted some tulips, muscari and irises in pots and covered the bulbs in potting soil. Then I read that the tops of the tulips should not be covered. Oh well! I guess this will be a learning experience. Let's see what happens.

It's funny. I think I must have Attention Deficit Disorder or something. I can't bring myself to sit still and read my schoolwork, but when I finally do, I find it really interesting. My mind has been on seeds and plants lately. I've been trying to divide up tasks in my Franklin Covey planner pages so that I actually do what I am scheduled to do. Sometimes it works, sometimes I procrastinate. A lot of the time, I use it to jog my memory about what I should be doing on a particular day. For example, today I am supposed to make some ham and cheese biscuits which I haven't yet started.

Tomorrow I will have to do a bit of grocery shopping since we are out of the basic necessities like eggs and such. I wonder what I should make for dinner tomorrow. I would like us to eat healthier. Shepherd's pie sounds good and the last one I made was delicious, but according to my book, "The Okinawa Program", (yes, putting the comma there was not a mistake. The English style of punctuation makes more sense to me than the American style, but that's another matter) meat is one of those things which one should not have too much of. Maybe it is okay for tomorrow since it is going to be a cold and snowy one. Nothing like hearty comfort food! Maybe I should make some chocolate chip cookies too. I made some brownies from a new recipe from my Penzeys catalog yesterday. They weren't bad, but they could have been a bit more chocolaty. I burnt the edges though so I cut those parts off before sending C to work with a plate of brownies to share with his co-workers.

Yesterday I picked up my Kindle (which C had given to me for Christmas) and read a chapter or two from Dumas' "Twenty Years After". My friend V gave me a physically copy for my birthday last year, but I never finished reading it since schoolwork and taking care of a new puppy kept me busy most of the time. C felt bad that I wasn't using the Kindle, so I figured that I would compromise and try to do both at once. It really is a nice device for reading casual books. I especially like the somewhat instant dictionary feature.

I'm still pondering whether I should apply to a Medieval Studies program under the history or art history department. Historians, for some reason, just seem a bit more cautious about making assumptions and seem to carefully construct their arguments around written evidence while art historians seem to make some broad stylistic conclusions sometimes. I suppose that written evidence is more concrete and is spelled out while visual evidence may leave much for the imagination. I'm planning to write my art history seminar paper on miracles and magic. Hopefully I can find enough visual and written evidence to form a strong and coherent thesis since there does not seem to be much written about it at present. At least, according to Mathews's book, "The Clash of Gods".

No comments: