Thursday, February 11, 2010

Did not do much yesterday and went to bed early because of a headache from lack of sleep. C and I drove around in the storm looking for a grocery store or supermarket. They were all closed and so we ended up going to Wawa for a few items and Subway for lunch. The Subway was located in a Pilot station which serves truckers. It seems that they were all congregating there because of the storm. It was slow going, but nice to be out driving on snow-covered white roads with the snow blowing all around.

Still have not started the readings. After coming home yesterday, I was a bit tired... oh, that and plus I had to shovel outside the mudroom. C doesn't do a very good job of it and likes to bring out his electric snow shovel. I don't think the electric shovel does as clean a job as shoveling the stuff manually. Back to the readings, I hope I can catch up with last week's readings today. Tomorrow, I hope to start next week's readings and maybe even finish it all. I was taking notes in MS Word for each article and chapter I read, but I think I will stop that. It takes me a lot longer to get through the assignments and I also worry that pulling out bits and pieces of information may not be a good idea since I may miss part of what the author is trying to say or if I remember it, I will have forgotten it by the time I re-read my notes. I am hoping that it is enough to make notes in the margins. I wonder if students of yore had this much work to do or whether it is something of the modern age where faster is equated with better. I don't see how anyone can really absorb all that information in such a short period of time without having the time to mull over the readings.

Today is a sunny day. The local grocery is probably open, so I will go down there to pick up some items for dinner. I am planning to make shepherd's pie tonight. I had planned to make it last night, but again, the grocery stores were closed.

Yesterday, with C's reluctant help, I was able to plant sweet woodruff, sage and lamb's ear seeds. Hopefully they will germinate. I also brought some germinating mix, balanced fertilizer and greensand from the Gardener's Supply Company. I used up all of the Miracle-Gro seed starting mix yesterday and thought that I should give their germinating mix a try. The product has received rave reviews from customers and I find that the Miracle-Gro mix tends to have small twiggy parts in it, which I read somewhere was an indication of poorer quality mixes. I also brought 100 small round transplant pots and wooden plant labels from Jung's. Not sure if I will actually need 100 pots, but I'm sure that I will be giving some plants away. Besides, it's always nice to have extras on hand.

No comments: