I was thinking about resumes today. Resumes are generally used by employers to sum up a person's abilities. They are supposed to be indicators of what a person is capable of doing by summing up past job experiences and using them to predict their potential for future positions. However, are they a measure of a man's worth? Many people have jobs which do not accurately reflect what they are really capable of doing. One example, is homemakers. Although stay-at-home moms are not considered part of the workforce, they are extremely important to the running of a successful household. To do this, they must take on different roles: caretakers, managers, decision makers, negotiators and much more. Yet, their contributions are overlooked when they are ready to return to the workforce. All the employers see is a large gap in employment if she had taken time off to care for her young. Although she may be intelligent and experienced in life, her lack of paid employment limits her to low paying jobs. Others may have an interest in a particular field, but being unable to find anything in that field and needing to make a living, take on other jobs which may not exactly suit them. That interest and passion for something is not usually noted on a resume. Not having experience in their field of interest closes the door on their ability to find a job in that field and so they move on to the next job just because there is a paycheck behind it. It's a vicious cycle that is hard to break.
It's about time for bed now. I would write more, but I'm tired and foggy-headed right now and I fear that I won't be able to get far without getting too involved. I'll put this to rest right now and call it my post for this evening.

No comments:
Post a Comment