Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Breaking the Chains

I was surprised to receive a job offer by e-mail for a work-at-home customer service position today. The rate is $19 per hour (full- or part-time during regular business hours) and my responsibilities would have included using the computer to respond to customer requests. The e-mail was professionally written and I believe that it is a legitimate employment opportunity. It was tempting. They had invited me to apply for the position, which shows that they were already interested in me. A steady work-at-home job with the promise of a regular paycheck also sounded like a dream. However, after thinking about it, I did not respond to the ad. I've decided that I should really try to start my own business. A steady paycheck is nice, but I need to find out whether I am able to make a living on my own. Although job searching is very difficult, once the job has been landed, settling into daily responsibilities and receiving a paycheck is easier than having to use your imagination and wits to figure out how to make a paycheck happen. I also feel that if I have to devote my blood, sweat and tears to a job, I might as well reap its benefits and do something that I enjoy. Life is short after all and, at 39, it's getting shorter and I have so much yet to do. Sometimes the more insurmountable a thing is, the more gratifying it is once you reach the top.

No comments: