After several months of hemming and hawing, I finally caved in and brought an HP 110 series netbook today. It's nothing fancy, just a basic model netbook with a decent sized well-laid out keyboard. C helped me set it up two hours ago and I'm now on the Internet typing into this blog. I felt that it would allow me to transcribe my thoughts-on-the-go more freely since its small size and weight (only about 2.5 lbs) makes highly portable. Plus it's so much easier to type and edit electronic words than it is to write them on paper. I remember submitting several lengthy handwritten drafts before turning in the final papers in high school and I really appreciate the convenience of being able to quickly capture loose and fleeting thoughts by typing them into the computer to be fine-tuned and honed into a more meaningful and concrete form.
Aside from sparing my fingers the pain of handwriting long essays, I've also been mulling over different issues and wanted to pin down my thoughts, clarify the logic behind them and solidify ideas. With all this practice that I will be getting, I'll also become a better writer (hopefully). Even though it was challenging, I enjoyed the process of writing papers as an undergraduate student and would love to continue to think, write and create.

No comments:
Post a Comment