Tonight was the 2010 Scholarship Dinner for Douglass College. I was there to thank my donors for the two scholarships which helped put me though school for 2010: The Margaret Hastings Memorial Scholarship (which I also received last year) and the Lois Zapolsky Memorial Prize.
It always amazes me that there are so many generous donors who support students that they don't even know. If it wasn't for these thoughtful people, I would been forced to put school off. If I am able to graduate this year (which I hope I will happen), it would be because of the financial help I received from such donors since I am no longer eligible for financial aid and I already have a load of debt which I have put off. C has also been important and supportive to me, by allowing me to attend school full-time without putting pressure on me to return to work. All these people made it possible for me to become the student I am today and have helped me to be the best that I can be. It was awkward at first to meet my donors for the first time. I really don't like to rely on people for help, especially financial help, but it made me realize that in order for me to realize my goal, I will need to rely on the support of many people to help me through. It is a humbling experience. Once I achieve my goal, I plan to do the same for others.

No comments:
Post a Comment