Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Just finished going through "Miracle and Magic: A Study in the Acts of the Apostles and the Life of Apollonius of Tyana" by Andy M. Reimer for my research paper. There are lots of interesting leads to other texts about miracles and magic during the Late Antique period. I took note of them and look forward to reading them one day for my dissertation.

I am feeling a bit more confident today about grad school, although I did read an article about a woman who graduated with a PhD in medieval literature who is struggling to support herself by taking several adjunct positions at different academic institutions. It wasn't a pretty picture. She races around from one class at one location to another in order to support herself as well as repay her student loans and credit card debt. I wonder if I should take some time out to get my own credit card debts paid so that I can concentrate more on my studies instead of being distracted by the thought of bills looming over my head. On the other hand, I've been doing a little bit of thinking about teaching and was even a bit excited about the prospect of conducting a class. I'm all for interactive learning and have devised some ideas about how I would conduct my class to get students thinking and participating about the topic. I'm still uneasy about it, but at least there is now a bit of excitement mixed in with the feeling instead of dread. I also read a bit about lecturing at a university. Instead of trying to squeeze a whole lot of information into each class, the goal is to introduce three main ideas. That seems doable to me and a whole lot less intimidating!

No comments: